Tuesday 12 March 2013

Being Ethical, too theoretical..




I did not do much external relations while working for UNHCR. Though I was working as External Relation assistant to its operation for Bhutanese Refugees, much of my work revolved around dealing with the local press and running information campaigns targeting the refugees.

My decision to change my job was so sudden, I was offered a job on second and decided to leave UN on the fifth. Quick decision, isn't it? Well, the thought of my separated family and a desire to work for the corporate world was more than enough to give me a decisive push. Well, yes, one of my major was corporate PR while studying at the University of Westminster and I still remember Pam Williams' glittering words when she spelled 'Corporate' to get us interested into the subject.

Real external relations started once I joined the corporate. One of the responsibility was to deal with the embassies of their concern. And I remember my first day in which one of the assistant  of the consular said that, our officials have changed the details in the visa issued by them. That was just a start, they kept on complaining over so many things, about details in original documents to the addresses written on the forms. I could not stop my laughter when the consular asked, so you are from Katunje Village, what is the name of your V.D.C? Poor diplomat even did not know that VDC and Village are the same . He then started asking questions like, how much does your certain product cost? How much does that cost in his country? That gave me a hint, yes things that make them work, is the gift pack that they used to get from my predecessor. As they have discontinued the provision, it was hard for me to get my things done.

I was compelled to think, is bribery a best tool for  external relations?Yes, ethical dilemma!, but when you do not have any options and you want your work done, forget the ethics..


Contradicts my old post though, I was too theoretical then..


 


No comments:

Post a Comment